Monday, May 7, 2012

Spring and Fruit Trees

Wow! Has it really been this long since I posted? It has. Like many of you, I have had too many things on my plate and writing has been pushed to the back burner.

It's early May and surprisingly, Spring chose to show up here in March! Last year we had two snowstorms in mid-April that left nearly 18" of snow on the ground and a chill in the air stuck around well into June. But this year has been remarkably warm!

What that does is make all of us who like to garden get the itch to put stuff in dirt. However, we know better. It's like a well, worn, war veteran who is regaling battle stories. Gardeners who have lost many a garden to a late freeze. It starts innocently enough. Usually you break down when you are in town and buy a flat of flowers and veggies on freakishly hot spring day. I mean, you broke out the capris and flip flops, painted your toes. So, yes, it "should" be warm enough to plant a few things. You rush home, plant them, water them and love them like your own children.  Then one morning you wake up, notice a slight chill in the house, your husband is putting on a jacket before he leaves and you rush to the thermometer and pray that it is well above that dreaded number of 32.  You can't bear the thought of going outside and looking at your 'babies'. The questions start "Why?", "Was it supposed to do that?", "WHEN are the weather forecasters going to get it right?"

When you do go out, it is heart-breaking. The wilting, the shriveled leaves, the look of defeat shown by each plant...

But, not so much this year. I have not bought much this year because in the back of my mind, I know it can still happen. But it so hard not to plant when it has been as warm as it has. But I have gotten to plant a few things. I bought some Vidalia Onions (I know, not truly Vidalia's unless grown in certain conditions with certain characteristics--But I'm a Georgia girl and was tickled to find them in the north central plains!). My husband built me a Potato Box that I found on Pinterest. We will see if it produces the amount of potatoes the web page claimed....If not, then it will become a new compost box!



And my favorite planting of the season? Fruit Trees! WOOHOO! I was so excited! Last year I purchased a peach tree and cherry tree on "clearance". Trust me, they were CHEAP! When the cherry tree leafed out, it was about 6" off the ground. Perfect height for the dreaded grasshoppers to eat. And they did. That little tree kept popping out leaves (only at 6" off the ground) and the grasshoppers kept having dessert. So, it quit trying. The replacement tree showed up a couple of weeks ago and I promptly put it in the ground and said a little prayer for leaves at the top of the tree. Then my three apple trees arrived! I about cried. These are great looking trees from Stark Brothers. I picked out a spot for these guys and they are firmly planted in the ground.




Each night after my run, I cool off walking through my "orchard". To my delight, every tree has little leaves popping out and even a couple of little blooms on the peach and cherry trees! I felt like I had won the lottery! And, of course, in the back of my mind, is that thought of "...is it going to frost tonight?"



We will see.  Happy Spring, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment