Thursday, April 25, 2013

Simple Homemade Refried Beans

As I pointed out in a previous post, I kind of, sort of, like Mexican food...alot. Although, up until the last few years, I shied away from refried beans. I mean, come on, it looks kind of gross. And it's beans, the things I swore to my mother I would never eat.

(Side note-do NOT ever say "NEVER" because the good Lord above will make you eat those words! I know from experience....)

However, when you eat out at a Mexican restaurant, most dishes come with rice and beans. EEWW! So at some point some of these refried beans would wind up mixed with my meal and I'd end up eating some. Wow. They aren't that bad mixed with rice, salsa, cheese and whatever else is left on my plate. Next thing I knew, I was sneaking a can or two of this stuff that reminded me of what I feed my dogs into the cart at the grocery store....

So, where is this post going, you ask? Well, I finally decided I could not stomach using a can opener and spooning the beans out of the can. It just reminded me of stuff I did not think humans should eat. I knew there had to be a recipe somewhere that was not complicated. And there is!

I did not find this recipe from Pinterest! I subscribed to a blog Once A Month Moms, where they have mastered once-a-month cooking (and I have not!) One month they featured a recipe for "Refried Black Beans" What? Hello! I clicked on that link and low and behold you cook these looking boogers in a crock pot and then put through a food processor and BAM! Refried Beans. 

This is the adapted recipe for Slow Cooker Refried Beans - (which I can  no longer find on their site. I guess that is due to changes they made regarding free vs. paid memberships....)


1 lb of Black Beans (I use Pintos)
1.25 cups chopped onion
2 Tbsp minced garlic
5 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
9 cups water
storage containers or freezer bags



 Place all ingredients into a slow cooker. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.


Once the beans have cooked, strain them, reserving the liquid. (Now, I don't do this. I just scoop them out with either a large spoon or a slotted spoon. I am a klutz in the kitchen and can imagine puddles of bean juice all over the place!)

Mash the beans with a potato masher or puree in a food processor (which is what I do), adding the reserved liquid to attain the desired consistency.


Eat immediately, or portion the beans into freezer bags or containers and freeze. To Serve, thaw, reheat in the microwave or on stove top.

I use plastic storage containers and freeze. I pull one out whenever we are having a Tex-Mex meal. The best thing is that my kids LOVE these! When I was their age, I would have a hard time even sitting at the same table with a dish of refried beans....

Enjoy! And "Happy Spring"...I think. It has not really shown up here, yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment