Monday, January 28, 2013

Confessions and Buffalo

My husband LOVES when I ride along with him at work. I LOATHE riding along with my husband when he is a work. I have too much to do, to sit in a truck and be bored for hours....

This fall, through a class (Love and Respect), I was reminded how much it means to him to have me by his side, regardless of what he is doing. He loves the company. It energizes him and he loves spending time with me (I guess that is why he married me!) So, today when he asked, I agreed.

Just to set the scene a little better. The past week, my trusty-rusty camera was giving me some problems. I ignored them like any non-techno person would because it would just fix itself and go away. Right? Well, yesterday, we went for a little hike. The kiddos just love getting outside and outside our yard. We had a blast. A little snow, a little mud, hills, trees and bulls...Always makes for a fun afternoon!  I pull out the camera to take a few pictures to remember the day with and nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but some grinding, beeping and lens issues. UGH!  So, I moped around the hike oblivious to my husband's shouts of "keep the dog with you!" and look up to see the 40 bulls in this canyon/pasture following us....nice.  One child was ready to leap off the top of the hill because she was terrified and the other, who is visually impaired, could not understand why I was holding on to her and would not let her "be out front". Well, the bulls became disinterested and we finished our hike, complete with tree knocking for "big foot"!

When we got home, I started researching my camera issue, because as much as I want a shiny, fancy pants, new camera, it just is not going to happen any time soon. I did find lots of information, as the issue is common. So, Monday morning, I set out to fix my camera! And I did! I am such a techy-geek! Ha!

This is when my husband walks in and congratulates me on my success and then pops the question - "Do you want to ride with me when I feed the buffalo?" Um....not really, but I bite my tongue. Ok, I will go. I grab my stuff and he adds "Aren't you going to bring a snack?" And, I am sure my reply was not all that pleasant, but went along the lines of "and just how long does it actually take to feed the buffalo?"

See, you have to understand that when he says XX mins/hours, it has to be multiplied by the "In Reality" factor. It NEVER takes what it should when I am along. Something goes "wrong" and we are stuck out in the middle of a pasture miles from anywhere and anyone with no cell service.

But, I bite my tongue, grab some almonds and a Diet Coke and a smile and hop into the truck.  Well, HIS dog is not impressed. She looks at me with some dirty words floating above her head because she knows she has to sit on the floor and I get the seat.  We get settled and go bouncing along our way.

We get to the buffalo (ok, they are bison, but buffalo sounds better!). They are waiting for the truck...Apparently, they know this thing pops out tasty treats each visit.  We drive to the feeding spot and I enjoy with my working camera!


Stampeding Bison! They love snack time!


Mad Bison! Or more than likely "It was chilly and she got her workout in!"


She is not impressed with the seating arrangements today....


4 pairs of swans having a snack. There are regularly 2 pairs in this cornfield, but today, they invited some friends. (and it is pretty foggy too)


From our hike, before the camera completely died - she needed a "gun" to shoot wildlife...

 And the magnifying glass to help see things "far away".....

And if you know where I live and realize it is the end of January and, yes, we are in "just" fleeces...Does not seem right.

Thanks for sticking with the rabbit trails in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment