Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Got Some Laundry To Do?

A while back, I talked about a homemade stain "remover" I used to clean the Cowboy's clothes after his long day at work. It was great! I still use it.  I have also been using homemade laundry detergent too. Actually, I've been using it for quite some time. It feels like a "Love-Hate" relationship. I started out making a liquid version. Hated it. Sorry, but I did. My sister-in-law loved it, but I hated mine. So, I had been on a long, several year journey to find a powder version that would suit me and my grubby family.

Well, I think I found it! I actually made the first batch last June. Yes, Last June...as in 2012.It lasted my dirt-loving, outdoor playing, family 7 months! I did not write about it because I wanted to make certain that I like it before actually talking about it.

You can guess where I found this "recipe"...Yes, Pinterest. This is the recipe I used from Being Creative To Keep My Sanity. It calls for the usual stuff Borax, Washing Soda, Baking Soda, OxiClean and Fels Naptha.


I used the standard size of Borax and Washing Soda, 4lbs of Baking Soda, approximately 3 lbs of OxiClean, and THREE bars of Fels.

Next, grab a garbage bag. Dump the powders in and mix it up. You might want to make sure that you've pulled the top of the bag closed and keep an eye on dust wafting out of the bag. You do not want to get this stuff in your eyes!

Then the most dreaded part of the process...Grating the Fels. I started out using the small part of the grater to get finely shredded soap, like in this picture.


But I must admit that after what seemed like an eternity, I flipped to the other side and grated away, much more quickly. I then used a knife to break those pieces up.

Then I dumped the Fels into the grocery bag and mixed it up again. Then I carefully poured the detergent into my detergent container. (I got this one at Walmart)  I use about 1 Tablespoon per load. With our family of 4, one being someone who works outdoors and with large animals, It should last us about 7 months. Also, I do not have an HE washing machine.


And it is just that simple. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment