Thursday, January 17, 2013

There's A Chicken Where?

As most of you know, I love chickens! I am still learning all there is to know about them and am not an expert at all, but I love chickens!


I love the fact that they share with me their eggs daily...Okay, maybe in the bitter cold it is a little hit or miss, but generally speaking, they share with me.

Overall, this group of hens is pretty tame. They do not try and rush me when I open the coop door and escape into the great unknown. They will run outside the chicken door into the pen and leave me to grab eggs, clean or feed them. Occasionally, I will catch one sitting on the eggs acting a little broody. However, there is not a big fight when I reach under and grab the eggs. I have yet to get pecked by these girls.

The other day, I noticed one of the hens acting like she was not feeling well. I just kind of kept an eye on her and was monitoring what was going on. The next day, she was even worse; pretty lethargic, getting stepped on by the other biddies, etc. So, I pulled her out and brought her to the house. The fabulous Cowboy, grabbed a dog crate and hay for me. I settled her in and made sure she had fresh water and feed. She was so sweet. She would quietly cluck to me. So, I knew in my heart I had done the right thing and that she would probably make it. She was not sick, rather bullied....


Here is where she is sleeping. This morning she was wide awake, talking to me, eating food! I was so excited! I gave her some table scraps as a treat. She loved it!

I hope to take her back out to the flock in a couple of days. I also hope my chicken bullies will leave her alone.

I am sure there a few people who knew me in a "previous life" that will laugh hysterically when they read all this. I mean, I owned a cat or maybe two back in those days. Never would I have dreamed of having farm animals, much less inviting them into my home!


So, yes, there is a chicken in my house...

No comments:

Post a Comment